Sunday, January 13, 2008

Sandy Hook Lighthouse New Jersey Painting




Sandy Hook Lighthouse

I was approached to paint this as a commission in 2004, and could not turn down the opportunity as it is one of the most beautiful lighthouses in the United States and the surrounding original architecture adds to the beauty of the lighthouse. I painted this original painting for a member of the New Jersey Lighthouse Society, Salvadore Trentacoste. I now have fine art modern prints available of this magnificent nautical lighthouse. View or purchase this art at my gallery at
http://www.derekmccrea.50megs.com

The Sandy Hook Lighthouse is the oldest working lighthouse in the United States. The light shines into the New York Harbor and although it sits in New Jersey it’s purpose revolves around both states.

When painting this work my goal was to capture the off whites and maroon colors in the homes and the lighthouse. The colors maroon and white softly emulate nautical themes. The whites in the home and the lighthouse have not been spared by the elements of the Atlantic coast. Although the lighthouse has been restored you can still view the beauty of its architecture in an age of beauty.

This work was one of my first large realistic watercolors. The piece is a perfect mix of realism and impressionism and the size of the original is a huge 22 x 30 inches. Natural beauty in architecture, in my eyes, cannot be replaced by newer architectural constructions. Lighthouses are one of the many standing historical architectural structures that are receiving preservation. While reflecting on this painting it reminds me of our responsibility to maintain and preserve the natural and man-made beauty of nautical lighthouses. 11 x 15 limited edition print.
Buy this painting on PayPal
Price: $32 USD
Or, send me an email

View more art at my gallery at
http://www.derekmccrea.50megs.com

No comments: